Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Saying goodbye to a friend.

Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.
~Author Unknown


Yesterday a friend who has been a part of my life since the start passed away. She was a great lady, and one that my mother considered a friend. She was born 59 years ago, strong minded and confident. She lived next door to my family, and shortly after her youngest son was born, so began my first memory of her. 


Her son and I became friends, he was a couple of years younger, but as we both got a bit older we always found time to hang out. His mother, always present, looking out after her son in any way she could, encouraged us to hang out, and even was there to witness her son teach me how to ride a bike. It's been a few years since I had seen her last, but I do admit, I'll miss her.


Just like everyone else in this world, she had her very own story. But in this case, it was a story of success. See the thing was, she learned at some point in her life, to never quit. She had 3 children, all who grew up to be great individuals, and even  more amazingly was that once the kids were old enough, she got herself back to college and graduated to begin to teach grade school children. I can't imagine how many other kids she influenced through out the years, but I bet it was alot.

The thing that is generally so sad about death is not that the person is no longer with us, but that a son, or a daughter could no longer say I love you, or even hold her one last time, or never to say goodbye once again. For this time, a "goodbye", was an actual good bye, and not a "see you later."

I'm convinced that there is something greater in our life found after we leave this existence. A place where she was no longer in pain, a place where she will can watch her children grow old, smiling from a distance.


I guess what is truly amazing, is that memories do keep peoples presence alive. Though I have not seen her in years, I'll always remember her.  She was a friend to my family and I, a mother to a few, a wife to one and a great person to many.


Rest In Peace my friend. We'll all see you eventually on the other side.

1 comment: