Tuesday, March 26, 2013

You and I...We're not so different

When I woke up this morning, it was like any other day. I found myself away from home for work. I'm use to that, I woke up early to get started on what's to come. I'm use to that. As usual I looked out the windows at the sky, trees, the wind blowing. A consistent reminder that I'm alive...that I have so much to do in my ever so short life. I've gotten use to that. What was different today was a picture I noticed as I logged into my Facebook. A red box with a red pink equal sign in the middle.

I rarely watch the news and stay away from the newspapers...I quickly did a search and learned what it meant. In a matter of a day or 2, it became the social media sign in support of marriages for all. Whether Gay, Lesbian, TG. It was up for vote in California. How could I not stand in solidarity with the rest of the country...with the rest of the world. I support choice for anyone. In my short existence in this world I learned that 3 things are absolute. You can't decide when your first breath is taken, generally if all goes well, you don't decide when your last breath is, and finally...You almost never decide who you truly fall in love with.

If those 3 things are absolute, why is the world and this country so far behind. It makes me wonder..Why is it that some people think that a human is any different from any other human.

It boggles my mind.

Life would be so simple and happy if people would let other people live a good life. The question of whether you should have the right to marry anyone in this world should not be questioned based on the physical characteristics. It was only 50 years ago that it was illegal for interracial marriage. 

Ignorance... At times I want to blame them. The people that think this way; but then again I can't. We as a country, as a world are fed into the divide and conquer mentality. It's what makes the world tick. Not for us normal folks who wake up, work hard, take care of our families, try to be a positive force to anyone...I'm talking about the ones that self-proclaim to be the leaders of the world.

In my world...everyone is equal.

In the end I have a choice in the matter, to let these closed minded people decide whether being happy should be a right, or just supporting everyone I know close and far in being happy regardless of what the concepts may or may not say.

I should be so lucky to fall so deeply in love that no law in the world can keep me from happiness..
And that's what got me thinking...
You and I...We're not so different

A.Rivera - Facebook.com/Journey2transform

No comments:

Post a Comment